Serves 5 kid size pizzas
wholemeal pita breads 5
crushed tomatoes, passata or tomato paste (no added salt) 4 tablespoons
mixed herbs (dried or fresh – parsley, basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme) 4 teaspoons
Topping Ingredients - pick a combination of:
Capsicum, thinly sliced
Mushrooms, thinly sliced
Chopped spinach or English spinach leaves
Pineapple pieces canned in juice, drained
Heart smart mince
Chicken breast no skin
Reduced fat cheese, shredded or grated (mozzarella or pizza mix)
1. Pre-heat oven to 180 °C. Wash & chop all vegetables and herbs. Set aside for assembly time
2. If you have mince or chicken, pre-cook in a fry pan and add your sauces or herbs when done.
3. Lay out pita bread on oven trays and spread a thin layer of your choice of tomato (crushed, passatta or paste)
4. Chop herbs and sprinkle over tomato covered pitas
5. Let the kids add their favourite toppings. Finish off with a light sprinkle of cheese and pop in the oven until cheese is melted
6. Cut into quarters and serve
Any flat bread can be used for homemade pizzas. Alternatives include lavash bread, pita bread, Turkish bread, bread rolls, or even English Muffins. Choose wholemeal or wholegrain varieties for a healthier choice.
You can use dried mixed herbs instead of fresh herbs.
Other good topping combinations include:
Chicken, satay sauce, baby spinach and reduced fat cheese
Capsicum, lean lamb mince, baby spinach, fresh tomato and reduced fat feta cheese
Chicken, avocado and reduced fat cheese