Bolognaise (for pasta, lasagna and burritos)
onions, diced 1
garlic, crushed 1 cloves
olive or canola oil 1/2 tablespoon
lean beef mince 500g
no added salt tomato paste 60g (1/4 cup)
diced tomatoes 1 x 400g cans
mixed herbs (dried or fresh) 1 teaspoon
water 4 cup
1 teaspoon reduced salt stock powder
1 large carrot, grated
1 cup mushrooms, finely chopped
1. Sauté the onions and garlic in oil, until soft.
2. Add the mince and fry until completely browned.
3. Add tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes.
4. Add tomatoes, stock, herbs, water, carrot, mushrooms and zucchini and simmer for 20 minutes.
5. If sauce starts to dry out, add a little more water.
You can use dried mixed herbs or if herbs are grown in your school garden use fresh herbs such as basil, rosemary and thyme.
This sauce recipe freezes well and can be used in pasta, lasagna and burritos.
You can add extra vegetables such as, capsicum and green beans.
Bread Crust Quiche
Wholemeal bread 10 slices
Reduced fat evaporated milk 100ml
Reduced fat cheese, grated 100g
Shallot, finely chopped 2
Canola oil, spray (only if needed to prevent sticking)
Patty pans for serving
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and lightly spray muffin trays with oil (If needed).
2. Remove crusts from bread and flatten slices with a rolling pin.
3. Press bread into bottom of muffin tray.
4. Whisk eggs and milk in a jug.
5. Pour egg mixture evenly amongst the bread cases.
6. Sprinkle shallots evenly over quiches.
7. Top with a sprinkle of cheese.
8. Bake for approximately 15 minutes.
9. Allow to cool before serving on a small serviette or patty paper.
Banana and Strawberry Breakfast Smoothie
"If you don't have time for a sit down breakfast then try a healthy, filling and refreshing fruit smoothie which you can enjoy on the go. With low fat dairy and fresh fruit you will feel satisfied and ready to start your day!"
Recipe from the Heart Foundation.
1/2 small banana
1. Place the fruit into a blender with the milk, yoghurt, honey, wheat germ and ice. Blend until smooth and serve immediately in a chilled glass.
Instructions Details 2